Freestyle Martial Arts – Zen Do Kai
(Adults 16 years +)
Zen Do Kai is a freestyle martial art and an open system – this means we are open to influences and ideas from all around the world.
Our modern, effective and comprehensive self defence system takes its base from a traditional Japanese karate style of kata, self-defence and strike work while also embracing elements from boxing, grappling, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Judo, Muay Thai kickboxing, and includes training in a variety of weapons.
The Zen Do Kai philosophy encompasses the principle of “if it works, use it” and is often described as a “living martial art” because it continues to evolve with the aim of remaining practical at all times.
“The best of everything in progression”
With schools across the whole of Australia & New Zealand and now also in Europe, Zen Do Kai is by far the largest Martial Arts organisation in Australasia, boasting nearly 1000 classes per week catering for all walks of life.
Zen Do Kai was founded in 1970 by Soke Bob Jones (founder of BJMA – Bob Jones Martial Arts) who opened his first martial arts club in Melbourne.
The style continues to develop and offers students a wide range of skills and personal benefits:
- Punching & kicking techniques
- Street smart self-defence and awareness
- Weaponry skills and defence
- Ground skills and defence
- Grappling, throws, locks & holds
- Pad work and partner drills
- Flexibility & agility
- Stress Relief
- A safe, friendly, family orientated training environment
Who is it suited for?
- Anyone who wishes to learn martial arts, self-defence, cross training for another sport, gain fitness or just a healthier lifestyle
- Age is no barrier, all you need is a willingness to learn
- We cater for all fitness levels and encourage you to progress at your own pace
- Our freestyle approach to training means you can customise certain techniques to your own body type and develop skills that would be appropriate to youCreating opportunities for all students to achieve their personal best!